Here Are 10 Songs We’ve Been Singing Wrong in the Big Country
The other day while sitting in my dining room listening to my Alexa, waitin' on supper, I was singing a song and started in on the chorus. That's when all hell broke loose. My wife tells me I have been singing the song wrong all these years. WOW, she waited all these years to tell me?
That got me thinking. Is it because we Texans talk with an accent, that we hear the songs differently? The next day I posted on Facebook asking, "What lyrics are we singing wrong here in the Big Country?" The following is a list of songs spanning all genres of music, with both the wrong and the right lyrics. The #1 song on the list is the one I was singing when my spouse hollered at me to "get it right."
1. Kenny Rogers / Lucille - Wrong: You picked a fine time to leave me the loose wheel, with 400 children and a cop in the field. Right: You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille, with four hungry children, and a crop in the field.
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival / Bad Moon - Wrong: There's a bathroom on the right. Right: There's a bad moon on the rise.
3. Garth Brooks / Friends In Low Places - Wrong: I'm not big on sausage crazes. Right: I got friends in low places.
4. Manfred Mann's Earth Band / Blinded by the Light - Wrong: Wrapped up like a douche, another Hummer in the night. Right: Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.
5. Starship / We Built This City - Wrong: We built this city on sausage rolls. Right: We built this city on rock and roll.
6. Martina McBride / This One's For The Girls - Wrong: Tossing panties in the fountain of youth. Right: Tossing pennies into the fountain of youth.
7. Elton John / Tiny Dancer - Wrong: Hold me closer, Tony Danza. Right: Hold me closer, tiny dancer.
8. Jimi Hendrix / Purple Haze - Wrong: 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy. Right: Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
9. Taylor Swift / Shake It Off - Wrong: Bakers gonna bake bake bake. Right: Fakers gonna fake fake fake.
10. The Beatles / Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Wrong: The girl with colitis thighs. Right: The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
These are the ten songs I picked out from the dozens of songs you posted online. Some suggestions were pretty funny - dirty, but funny. I thought it was best to keep it clean.
I think it's okay to sing the wrong lyrics as long as you're singing them with feeling and passion in your heart. So, do me a favor, turn up the radio, and sing to your heart's content.