Skip the Trip to the Driver License Office and Renew Online
I just discovered, I didn't have to go to the Department Of Public Safety Driver License office to renew my license. In fact, I received a letter reminding me to renew my driver license and I could do it by mail, phone or online.
I was able to renew my license from my laptop at home, while I was still in my PJ's . The coolest part is, there are four different ways to renew and/or update a driver license.
- Online at dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense You'll need your social security number, current driver license (or I.D. card) and a valid credit card.
- By phone just call 1-866-DL-RENEW. You'll need your social security number, current driver license (or I.D. card) and a valid credit card.
- By mail, with this option you will have had to be invited to do so, because you'll need the application that the DPS sent you. Just follow those instructions.
- Finally, when you've exhausted all three options listed above, you'll need to go to the DPS license office. Again you'll need your driver license or ID card and your social security number.
While I was thrilled not to have to stand in line and wait to renew, I also discovered that this was not just for renewals. If you lost your license, changed address and/or changed your name for whatever reason the above mentioned four options are for you too.
However, I was told, if you're a first timer, disabled, over 79 years-old or have any other questions or issues one must go to the DPS license office. The one drawback is, I can only renew by mail, phone or online every other renewal. The next time it will be the old "stand and wait" game.
I hope this helps you, I know it sure helped me, because I don't like standing in lines. By the way here are the fees the DPS charges for renewals.
- $11 for a simple change of address for a driver license or ID
- $16 for renewal of ID with or without changing address
- $25 for renewal of driver license with or without changing address
- $33 for renewal of driver license with motorcycle, with or without changing address
- Valid credit cards accepted are: (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express)