I checked with Elections Administrator's in Nolan, Brown and Taylor Counties, there appears to be two things all three administrators agree upon,  one is 'the best way to get registered to vote'. Kristi Allyn, the Taylor County Elections Administrator said the guaranteed best way to get registered, is to go directly to the 'Elections Office' and register there. Taylor county was the only one that has several locations through-out the city where you can obtain a voter registration form.

The second thing all three election officials agree upon is that "while the Texas Department of Public Safety is a good place to get your drivers license, registering to vote there has been less than 100% successful. We have more and more people say, I registered at the DPS and I never got my voter registration card" said Sweetwaters' Pat McGowen the Nolan County Clerk. As for Brown county, Elections Administrator Suzy Young says "the elections office is the best way to get the right registration form, plus we are here to help you should any questions arise".

Taylor County Administrator Kristi says "while there are many locations in Abilene where one can get a voter registration form, the best way to insure that you are a registered voter is come my office. Our staff is here to help and I'd like to remind everyone that, if you contact the Taylor County elections office, we will be glad to mail out the registration form too, which must then be returned to our office for processing". Pat McGown of Nolan County reminded me that our military men and women can not only register to vote via the postal service, they can also secure a ballot and vote by mail as well.

All three elections officials say that the easiest way to get a voter registration form is from their offices or the Texas State VoteTexas.gov website to get the 'Informal Online Voter Registration Application'. Answer a few questions and you'll be able to print out your voter registration application, once that is done either take it to or mail it to your local elections office.


Where to get voter registration forms:

  1. The Abilene Public Library 202 Cedar Street Abilene, TX,
  2. South Branch Library 1401 S. Danville, Abilene TX,
  3. Mockingbird Branch Library 1214 N. Mockingbird, Abilene TX
  4. Texas Department Of Public Safety 4649 South 1st Street Abilene, TX
  5. Taylor County Democratic Party Office 453 Pine Street Abilene, TX
  6. Taylor County Republican Party Office 157 Pine St, 79601-5909 Abilene, TX

Taylor County Register at:

  1. Taylor County Elections office, 400 Oak St. Suite 100, Abilene, Texas 79602 or call (325)-674-1216
    Hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
  2. Texas Department Of Public Safety 4649 South 1st Street Abilene, TX

Nolan County Register at:

Nolan County Elections office, 100 East Third, Suite 108 Sweetwater, TX. or call 325-235-2462
Hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Brown County Register at:

Brown County Elections office, in the Adams Community Center at 511 East Adams Brownwood, TX or call (325)-646-4333
Hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


You Must Register By
Your application must be received in the Voter Registrar’s office or postmarked at least 30 days before an election for you to be eligible to vote in that election. To vote in Texas be sure to register by the deadline.

  • For the November 6, 2012 General Election: The deadline to register is October 9, 2012.

Do I Need ID?
Your voter application asks for one of three identification numbers. If you have not received any of these, you are still eligible to register to vote, but you will be required to provide proof of your identity at the polling place. Acceptable identification includes:

  • A driver’s license or personal identification card issued to you by the Texas Department of Public Safety. You may also bring a similar document issued to you by an agency of another state, even if the license or card has expired;
  • A form of identification that contains your photograph and establishes your identity;
  • A birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person’s identity;
  • Your United States citizenship papers;
  • Your United States passport;
  • Official mail addressed to you by a governmental entity; or
  • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and address.

More Info:

If you've still have questions, call your local elections office or check out the VoteTexas.gov website for frequently asked questions or should you need additional information and would like to talk to a State of Texas Elections office official, call 1-800-252-VOTE (8683). Happy voting Y'all!


Voter Lauren Walker stands at a voting booth to cast her ballot
Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images

More From KEAN 105