Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Needs Your Input on Hunting
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is now taking the publics input on the proposed changes to the 2021-2022 Statewide Hunting and Migratory Game Bird Proclamations and Regulations.
Some of the regulations, modifications and or changes that are being considered are listed below. However, most importantly time is running out as all comments and recommendations must be made no later than Thursday, March 25th, 2021. All public testimony and or comments are normally limited to no more than three minutes per person.
Below is the TPWD list of things in consideration. Plus, other opportunities for comments that are being taken are for or against these proposals:
- Add crossbow to the definition of lawful archery equipment
- Modify the muzzleloader definition to clarify only the bullet or projectile must be loaded through the muzzle
- Remove the prohibition on trailing wounded deer with dogs in Angelina, Hardin, Nacogdoches, Orange, Shelby, and Tyler counties; In addition, allow the trailing of wounded deer to no more than two dogs on a leash in Jasper, Newton, Sabine, and San Augustine counties
- Eliminate the experimental pronghorn season in the northern Panhandle and expand the general pronghorn season from 9 to 16 days statewide
- Modify opening day for chachalacas to be concurrent with quail season
- Close Panola County to hunting Eastern turkey season during the spring
- Implement mandatory reporting for spring turkey hunting (April 1 – 30) in the “Western 1 Gobbler” counties in southcentral Texas
- Align spring and fall wild turkey hunting seasons with consistent North and South Zone boundaries along Highway 90
- Allow a statewide squirrel hunting season by opening the remaining closed counties to a year-round hunting season
- Add two days of hunting opportunity in the Special White-winged Dove Area (SWWDA) within the South Dove Zone
- Establish season dates and daily bag limits for all migratory game bird hunting seasons
Additional details on the proposed regulation changes can be found on the public comment page and in the Texas Register. The public is encouraged to provide comment on the proposed regulation changes, and input will be considered before any action is taken by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission at its March 25 public hearing. Source: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) Work Session Item No. 6
A Zoom Webinar with the TPWD staff is being presented on all the proposed hunting regulation changes and a question and answer session will follow in an online webinar, Tuesday, March 16 at 7PM. The webinar will be posted on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s YouTube channel and their Facebook page as well.
Online: Comments on all the changes can be found on the TPWD public comment page through March 24. For any additional information, phone or email the Migratory Game Bird Proclamation regarding upland game birds or squirrels, please contact Shaun Oldenburger via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-389-4778. For Statewide Hunting Proclamation comments concerning pronghorn, please contact Shawn Gray via email at:email@example.com. For the 'methods' portion, please contact Alan Cain via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The TPW Commission will take public comment on the proposed changes at their meeting on Thursday, March 25 in Austin. Those wishing to provide public testimony are required to pre-register in order to speak. For further assistance call: (512) 389-4800 | (800) 792-1112 | TTY: (512) 389-8915.