Hardy Drops ‘Hixtape’ Album Featuring Keith Urban, Lauren Alaina + More
Hardy's new Hixtape Vol. 1 album is on-brand in every possible way. The 10-song project (released on Sept. 13) features a clever mix of redneck impulse and nostalgia, plus more guests than you could stuff on a single tour bus.
Sixteen well-known country stars and one rocker team up with Hardy to sing songs like "Boy From the South" (Cole Swindell, Dustin Lynch), "Nothin' Out Here" (Thomas Rhett) and "What They Make Backroads For" (Tracy Lawrence, Jake Owen). Standouts include Trace Adkins low country rumble on "Redneck Tendencies" and "One Beer," the album's closing moment featuring Lauren Alaina and Devin Dawson.
"First comes lust, then the shotgun marriage / Six months later come the baby in a carriage," Hardy sings during a cut that's less "Rednecker" real and more Kacey Musgraves' "Merry Go 'Round" real.
Hardy bestie and 2018 Taste of Country RISERS star Morgan Wallen appears on two songs, including a face-melter called "Turn You Down" that finds the two easy country boys keeping up with Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde. The song titles couldn't be more country — the album is called Hixtape after all — but sonically the singer and songwriter has put together a dynamic mix of songs and styles. Unlike previous EPs that relied on the Philadelphia, Miss., native's storytelling, Hardy (real name Michael Hardy) splits time with those who've been doing it longer on a collection of songs that for the most part don't take themselves too seriously
Watch Morgan Wallen's RISERS Performance of "Whiskey Glasses"
A press release reveals that Hardy originally intended Hixtape to be only an EP, but after the success of his "God's Country" (written for Blake Shelton), stars began to reach out to him. He's hopeful more follow for Hixtape Vol. 2 in the future.
The full track listing is below, but drawings of everyone involved are part of the album's cover art, a SomeHoodlum creation. That's the same artist that did the animation for Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" music video.
Hardy's Hixtape Vol. 1 Track Listing:
1. "Boy From the South" Feat. Cole Swindell and Dustin Lynch
2. "He Went to Jared" Feat. Morgan Wallen
3. "Redneck Tendencies" Feat. Trace Adkins and Joe Diffie
4. "Nothin’ Out Here" Feat. Thomas Rhett
5. "My Kinda Livin'" Feat. Hunter Phelps and Jameson Rodgers
6. "No Place Like Hometown" Feat. Keith Urban and Hillary Lindsey
7. "Something a Lil’ Stronger" Feat. Mitchell Tenpenny and Jon Langston
8. "What They Make Backroads For" Feat. Tracy Lawrence and Jake Owen
9. "Turn You Down" Feat. Morgan Wallen and Zakk Wylde
10. "One Beer" Feat. Lauren Alaina and Devin Dawson
Check Out the Top 10 Songs of 2019, So Far: