The Best Chili Recipe Ever in Time for the Chili-Cook Off
For at least two decades, I protected my secret ‘Dragons Breath Chili’ recipe. I made sure no one ever knew what my “super secret ingredient” was. I would strip the labels off the cans and then pour the secret ingredient into glass jars.
When the the local-1044 Fire Fighters Union started cooking my chili recipe, I swore them to secrecy. I was mortified when I saw Facebook pictures of Firefighters holding up cans of my “secret ingredient”.
So, today is your lucky day. How would you like to make your own pot of my Dragon’s Breath Chili? Here’s my recipe, secret ingredient and all. Tell me how it turns out.
Dragon’s Breath Chili – Family Size
- 5 pounds lean ground meat, coarse ground
- 10 – 1.25 oz packets of McCormick Original Chili Seasoning Mix
- 3 cans 14-oz cans Cans “Tomato Sauce”
- 3 – 32 oz cartons of “Chicken Broth – low sodium” the super secret ingredient
- 3 medium onions, Onions (peel and puree onions in a food processor)
- 3 Tbsp of ground Cumin
- Fry all your meat, all your onions in a skillet. After frying the meat with the onions, drain all the grease and meat juices.
- Then in a large stock pot add half of the tomato sauce, chicken broth and the chili mix. As you add your (fried and drained) meat into the pot, the chili will begin to thicken, thin it down by adding more chicken broth and/or tomato sauce (this is a texture preference, so it’s your call as to how thick or thin you want your chili).
- Let simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring constantly to keep from scorching. As chili simmers more broth and/or sauce may be needed due to evaporation. Adding the final ingredient 20 minutes prior to serving, stir in the powdered Cumin, all of it and then stir it like crazy for the next 20 minutes. Then enjoy!