Jamey Johnson and Friends Pay Tribute to the Legendary Hank Cochran on Upcoming CD
Jamey Johnson has never been one for conformity, so it should come as no surprise that his new project is off the beaten path. The new CD, ‘Livin’ For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran‘, set for release October 16th, will pay tribute to a man whose music is considerably more famous than his name. For this project, Johnson called out for the help of Hank Cochran admirers in the music industry. Jamey got a lot of help.Each of the 16 tracks on ‘Livin’ For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran’ was penned by the legend. Helping Jamey Johnson out on the CD is an amazing collection of stars. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, George Strait, Vince Gill, Asleep At The Wheel, Ronnie Dunn, Lee Ann Womack and several others lend their talents to the making of ‘Livin’ For a Song’.
Why Hank Cochran? Johnson sums it up nicely on his official website:
If I had to dream up somebody like Hank to influence songwriters, I couldn’t have done a better job. That’s what he was– not just for me, but for Willie and for a lot of people–just a helpful friend. If he knew you needed help with something, he could help you. He was there. And that’s what I want to be for the people in my life, same as Hank. He influenced me, not only as an artist and songwriter, but also as a person.
Hank Cochran made a career of writing what would turn out to be some of the most memorable songs in country music. While Cochran himself released five albums, and saw moderate success with a handful of singles throughout the years, he is clearly better known as a hit maker for artists such as Patsy Cline, Eddy Arnold, Ray Price, George Strait, Merle Haggard and many more.
Johnson met Hank Cochran in 2008, shortly before he fell ill. Jamey spent a lot of his free time lifting Cochran’s spirits at the hospital in the 2 years before his death from pancreatic cancer in 2010. ‘Livin’ For a Song’ is a great way to thank Hank for his influence on country music, which shows no sign of stopping.
Here’s a look at Jamey Johnson’s “Livin’ For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran” Track List:
1. ‘Make the World Go Away’ – Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss
2. I Fall to Pieces’ – Jamey Johnson and Merle Haggard
3. ‘A Way to Survive’ – Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill and Leon Russell
4. ‘Don’t Touch Me’ – Jamey Johnson and Emmylou Harris
5. ‘You Wouldn’t Know Love’ – Jamey Johnson and Ray Price
6. ‘I Don’t Do Windows – Jamey Johnson and Asleep at the Wheel
7. ‘She’ll Be Back’ – Jamey Johnson and Elvis Costello
8. ‘Would These Arms Be in Your Way’ – Jamey Johnson
9. ‘The Eagle’ – Jamey Johnson and George Strait
10. ‘A-11′ – Jamey Johnson and Ronnie Dunn
11. ‘I’d Fight the World’ – Jamey Johnson and Bobby Bare
12. ‘Don’t You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me’ – Jamey Johnson and Willie Nelson
13. ‘This Ain’t My First Rodeo’ – Jamey Johnson and Lee Ann Womack
14. ‘Love Makes a Fool of Us All’ – Jamey Johnson and Kris Kristofferson
15. ‘Everything But You’ – Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson and Leon Russell
16. ‘Livin’ for a Song’ – Jamey Johnson, Hank Cochran, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson