Singer-Songwriter Clay McClinton Involved in a Car Wreck [UPDATE]
UPDATED July 22, 2014
Clay McClinton fans were recently greeted with great news, as Clay's wife, Brandy updated on her Facebook page (and Clay re-post) that he is on the road to a full recovery. While McClinton hasn't returned to play any live shows and no timeline has been shared, Clay has been well enough to attend a recent benefit concert. Several have taken place over the past couple of months to help offset medical expenses.
In lieu of replacing McClinton at Larry Joe Taylor's Music Fest, LJT decided to play Clay's CD during his time slot.
UPDATED April 11, 2014
Clay McClinton injuries in March were pretty serious, but that's all we've known for a while. After several weeks of respecting the wishes for privacy for McClinton and his family, Clay's wife, Brandy gave fans a very detailed update on his Facebook page. And it's pretty good news!
Here are some highlights from Brandy's post:
- Clay was in a car accident on March 21st and fell into a coma. On April 2nd at 6am the Dr. unhooked the ventilator to see if he could breathe on his own. He was doing well and as I was monitoring his breaths he woke up right before my eyes. I can't begin to describe the feelings I had, especially when I could tell he recognized me. We’ve recently transferred to a rehabilitation hospital where we will live together until it is time to go home and begin outpatient therapy.
- Clay walked for the first time last Thursday [4/3]. He still had plenty of strength but his balance was a little off. With some help, he walked the entire floor of the hospital. Upon returning to his room he did a little jump and clicked his heels together with a grin…the therapist’s jaw dropped to the floor!
- He had to have a tracheotomy so he hasn’t been able to talk, however, the tube was downsized on Tuesday [4/8] and he began speaking a little bit yesterday.
- Clay was scheduled to perform at Larry Joe Taylor’s Texas Music Festival at the end of the month. I’ve been told that another band will not be taking his time slot…they say Clay is irreplaceable and I couldn't agree more. Instead they will honor him by playing his new CD for the audience with a picture of him and his wonderful smile on the big screen…this takes my breath away.
Mrs. McClinton went on to express her gratitude to friends and fans for their thoughts and prayers.
- I want to thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. I will never be able to truly express my love and appreciation for the wonderful people in our lives.
Original Post - March 24, 2014
Our thoughts and prayers go out to singer-Songwriter Clay McClinton and his family, Clay was involved in a car accident over the weekend which left him hospitalized and in intensive care.
In a statement on McClinton's official Facebook page, his family shares few details, and asks for privacy and prayers for Clay:
To our family and friends,
Some of you already know what is going on but we wanted to give you an update:
Clay was involved in a car accident on Friday night and sustained a head injury. He is in the hospital and is stable. They are keeping him very sedated to keep him from being agitated. We won't know much for a few days at least. Right now it's a wait and see game. He's got swelling that needs to come down and all we can do is be patient and hope for the very best. At this time we kindly ask that you respect our privacy; we will keep you updated as we know more. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.
The McClinton Family
McClinton, son of legendary musician Delbert McClinton, was scheduled to perform this Saturday (3/29) at the 4th Annual Outlaws & Legends Music Fest, but according to his PR firm, McGuckin Entertainment, Clay will not be performing.
No details on the accident are available at this time.
As we wish the best for McClinton and his family, take a minute to enjoy a few minutes of Clay doing what he does best - having a little fun.