The 56th Annual “Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Round-Up” is Mar. 7th-9th in Sweetwater
The 56th annual “Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Round-Up” is March 7th, 8th and 9th at the Nolan Country Coliseum in Sweetwater. In 1958 the Sweetwater Jaycees started this event as a way to control snake populations in West Texas. The over population of rattlesnakes was causing harm to livestock in the Big Country. Today, this event draws more than 40,000 visitors every year. Here’s what is happening this weekend.
At the Round-Up you’ll find fried rattlesnake to eat if you so desire. The biggest Barbecue Cook-off, a dance Friday and Saturday night and a big carnival everyday of the event. There is also a flea-market on one side of the coliseum and a gun show on the other side.
The 56th annual “Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Round-Up”
Dates and Times
- Friday and Saturday, gates open at 8:00am – 6:00pm
- Sunday gates open at 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Friday and Saturday nights dance, doors open at 7:00pm – 11:00pm
- Guided Snake Hunts begin daily at 10:00am
- The Cook Off is Saturday beginning at 8:00am
- Adults are $10.00
- Kids ages 5 -12 are $5.00
- Children 4 and under are free
- Friday dance (no cooler charge) $10.00 per person
- Saturday dance $15.00 per person or $25.00 per couple
- Saturday cooler charge is $5 for small coolers at $10 for bigger ones
- Thursday Carnival pass $20.00 (all you can ride)
- Friday – Sunday Carnival pass $25.00 per day (all you can ride)
- All weekend carnival pass $50.00 (all you can ride)
Nolan County Coliseum 1699 Cypress Sweetwater TX.
Mary Reeves Sweetwater Chamber of Commerce (325)-235-5488 or (800)-658-6757
Even with all the other things going on, the rattlesnakes are the main attraction. Bus tours take people out on tours to let people get the feel of the rattlesnake’s habitat. There’s even a rattlesnake eating contest if you dare. As for the dances the request no glass containers in you coolers.