After Hurricane Sandy: Tips for Making Tap Water Safe for Consumption
In light of recent storm activity with Hurricane Sandy, there is no better survival method to have in your back pocket than learning how to make unsafe tap water safe for consumption.
Contaminated water can be made safe to drink by either boiling the water for one minute or by using bleach (trust us). Here is what to do …
If your tap water is clear:
- Put eight drops of household unscented liquid bleach into one gallon of water.
- Mix it well and let it stand for at least 30 minutes before drinking.
If your tap water is cloudy:
- Put 16 drops of household unscented liquid bleach into one gallon of water.
- Mix it well and wait at least 30 minutes before drinking.
- Do not ever mix bleach with ammonia or any other household cleaners.
- Be sure to open windows and doors for fresh air when using bleach.
- More information is available on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.