Abilene’s 1959 Downtown Parade Video Brings Back Memories
A 1959 West Texas parade takes place in Downtown Abilene. Some Participants included Dyess Air Force Base, the McMurry College Calliope and the McMurry Indian Squaws. My how times have changed.
I'm amazed how so many things have changed yet many traditions live on. For example parades still take place here with many of the same organizations still participating.
Relive the Good Ole Days Watch This 1959 Abilene Downtown Parade
Here are some interesting facts about the cost of living in Abilene in 1959:
- Average Cost of new house $12,400.00
- Average Cost of a new car $2,200.00
- Average Yearly Wages $5,010.00
- Cost of Gas 25 cents a gallon
- Kodak Movie camera $67.50
- Ladies Stockings $1.00
- Loaf of Bread 20 cents
- Movie Ticket $1.00